Support . Empower . Advocate . Promote

Do you want to complain about your NHS care or treatment?

The National Health Service (NHS) works hard to treat everyone properly and promptly. Most people using the NHS are happy with their treatment, but sometimes things can go wrong.

By raising your concerns you can help put things right and the NHS can learn from your experience.

Independent Health Complaints Advocacy is a free, independent advocacy service that can help you make a complaint about any aspect of your NHS care or treatment. This includes treatment in a private hospital or care home that is funded by the NHS.

Not sure what advocacy is, or how an advocate can help you? Find out more.

How can we help you?

We will provide you with a Self Help Information Pack to help you make a complaint about your care or treatment using the NHS Complaints Procedure. You can choose to make your complaint with, or without, the support of an advocate. Your decision may depend on how confident you feel about starting the complaints process and the complexity of your case.

If you feel you need further support, we can provide you with advocacy support.

Find out more about the NHS Complaints Procedure.

Find out how our services have helped other people.

If you require Independent Health Complaints Advocacy in an area seAp do not cover, please refer to

Note: If your complaint is about private healthcare, or a private care or nursing home, and you have paid for treatment or used medical insurance, you will need to contact the healthcare provider to find out what their complaints procedure is.

To download our Health Complaints leaflets please chose a link from below:

Arabic Bengali English Mandarin Polish


Easy words and pictures. Easy Read            
Easy Read - NHS Complaints              BSL Signed Video with tips on making a complaint to the NHS in England (click here for YouTube)


Support for People in Prison

Our service can also support people in prison who wish to complain about their health care or treatment. The IHCA prisons leaflet below explains how prisoners can make a complaint, or how a friend or family member may make a complaint on their behalf.

IHCA Prisons Leaflet

This service is provided by seAp in the following local authority areas:

  • Bath & North East Somerset
  • Bournemouth, Christchurch & Poole
  • Bracknell Forest
  • Bristol
  • Buckinghamshire
  • Cornwall
  • Dorset
  • East Sussex
  • Isle of Wight
  • Isles of Scilly
  • Kent
  • London Borough of Bromley
  • Milton Keynes
  • North Somerset
  • Plymouth
  • Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead
  • Southampton City
  • Torbay
  • West Berkshire
  • Wiltshire
  • Wokingham
  • "This service is one of a kind and very important within any community, especially nowadays."


    "I just wanted to write and thank you for all your help. I'm not sure I would have had the strength to continue at some points... but you kept me going!"

    Featured case study

    Read Sandra's story...